- 1962 Awarded a Prize of the Chemistry Division of the
Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (together with
Prof. J. Koutecky) for a series of papers on transannular
- 1967 Awarded a Prize of the Chemistry Division of the
Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (together with Dr. J. Cizek)
for the studies concerning the stability of the solutions of the
Hartree Fock equations.
- 1981 Elected Corresponding Member of European
Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters, Paris.
- 1983 Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- 1984 Elected Member of the International
Academy of Quantum Molecular Science.
- 1985 Elected Fellow of the Institute for Advanced
Study in Berlin (for the academic year 1986-87).
- 1985 Elected Member of the New York Academy
- 1987-89 Awarded a Killam Research Fellowship.
- 1990 Elected Member of the Board of Directors, International
Society for Theoretical Chemical Physics.
- 1992 Awarded a J. Heyrovsky Gold Medal of the Czechoslovak
Academy of Sciences.
- 1994 Awarded a Gold Medal of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia.
- 1994 A Session on "Coupled Clusters" in honor of
Jiri Cizek and Josef Paldus (Chaired by I. Shavitt) was held at the
8th International Congress of Quantum Chemistry in Prague,
Czech Republic (June 19-23, 1994).
- 1994 Regensburger Universitaetsstiftung Hans Vielberth
Lecturer Lecture Series on Theoretical Chemistry: A series of five
lectures on Electron Correlation and Unitary Group Approach; University
of Regensburg, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy (July 15-24, 1944).
- 1995 Elected a Honorary Member of The Learned Society of
- 1996 Received an Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award,
Alexander-von-Humboldt-Stiftung, Bonn, Germany.
- 2001 Awarded a Distinguished Professor Emeritus, status,
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON Canada.
- 2001 A special issue of the Journal of Molecular Structure
(THEOCHEM) Vol. 547 (2001), pp. i-xi; 1-325 (complete in
one issue), edited by A. J. Thakkar and C. F. Dykstra, was
published in Honour of my 65th birthday.
- 2002 Elected a Fellow of the Fields Institute for Research in
- 2004 Coulson Lecturer, (Delivered C. A. Coulson Annual
Lecture at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry,
University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA (13.4.2004).
- 2005 Awarded a Gold Medal of Charles University,
Prague, Czech Republic (1.6.2005).
- 2005 Four special issues (Nos. 5-8, Vol. 70, May-August) of
the Collection of Czechoslovak Chemical Communications
were published as a Festschrift to honor my 70th birthday.
- 2006 Awarded a honorary degree Doctor Honoris Causa
by the Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia (14.6.2006).
- 2007 Awarded a Honorary Medal De Scientia et Humanitate
Optime Meritis by the Academy of Sciences of the Czech
Republic, Prague, Czech Republic (15.5.2007) - this is the
highest award granted by that Academy.
- 2008 A Workshop on 50 Years of Coupled Cluster Theory
was organized (June 30 to July 2, 2008) by the Institute
for Nuclear Theory (INT), based at the University of Washington
in Seattle, WA, U.S.A. in recognition of its founders Coester,
Kuemmel, Cizek, and Paldus.
- 2008 Awarded a honorary degree Doctor Honoris Causa
by the Universite Louis Pasteur in Strasbourg, France (June
- 2008 Awarded the 2008 PATRIA Prize sponsored by
UNIPETROL in the framework of the Project "Ceska Hlava", Prague,
Czech Republic (Novembre 18, 2008).
- 2013 Elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society.
- American Men and Women of Science (since 1972, 12th ed.).
- Who's Who in America (since 43rd edition, 1984-85).
- Canadian Who's Who (University of Toronto Press, since 1986).
- Men of Achievement (International Biographical Center,
Cambridge, England; published by Melrose Press, Ltd.,
Cambridgeshire, England; since the 16th edition, 1994).