This is the shortest-possible tour through 37,859 luminous stars within 3,000 parsecs from Earth. The data set was put together by galaxy map expert Kevin Jardine. The trip covers 2,823,545.3 parsecs.
Click "Full View of Tour" in the top bar to fill the window with the tour drawing; the full view includes a sample from the piece "Crazy Charlie's Confession to America" by Maryland band Rick and the All-Stars.
• David Applegate, Google Research
• Robert Bixby, Gurobi Optimization and Rice University
• Vaek Chvátal, Charles University
• William Cook, University of Waterloo and Johns Hopkins University
• Daniel Espinoza, Google Inc.
• Marcos Goycoolea, Universidad Adolfo Ibanez
• Keld Helsgaun, Roskilde University
For a guide to navigating the moving image, click the ⓘ button in the top right corner of the page.Links to lots of information on the mathematical techniques we employed can be found on the TSP home page and on the LKH web site.
We thank Michael Boyle for suggesting the use of color hue to indicate the order stars appear in our solution.